I found the molds on amazon.com, and here’s how I made them (with thanks to Skip to my Lou for the know-how!):
- Gather your molds and old/broken crayons (or if your 6 year old accidently threw them all away, a few boxes of new ones…)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees (F)
- Peel all of the paper off of the crayons. If the paper won’t come off, use a box cutter to carefully slit along the paper and they should come off easier. Kids love to help on this part!
- Break the crayons into small pieces. For my LEGO men, each man took one crayon. You want the pieces small enough so when they melt, they melt into the mold and not everywhere else.
- Place a sheet of foil over a cookie sheet and lay your mold on top of that. Bake for 5-10 minutes, checking on your crayons. Mine needed a minute or two more before they were fully melted.
- Remove from oven. If there is a waxy film on top, use a toothpick to stir them.
- Let cool, then put in the freezer for 20ish minutes.
- Pull them out of the freezer, move the mold back and forth to loosen them, and your crayons should pop right out!