I took a cooking class at BYU where I learned how to make my own instant oatmeal…it tastes very similar to store bought instant oatmeal packets, but it allows me to control how much sugar or other additives are in our oatmeal, and it helps me work through our huge stash of oats :).
You can store your instant oatmeal in baggies or in little tupperwares like I do. It only takes 5 minutes to make several and will save you a bunch of time in the mornings.
To make your instant oatmeal, mix:
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 tablespoons of oat flour (just mix a cup of oats in your blender)
- scant dash of salt
- optional flavoring below…
- Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp brown sugar plus 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 2 Tbsp chopped dried apples
- Sweetened Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp sugar
- Oatmeal with Raisins: 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar, 1 Tbsp raisins
- Health Nut Oatmeal: 2 Tbsp any kind of wheat germ
When I make this, I put it in a children's size bowl, and put in enough water to cover the oats. I then cook it for 1-1 1/2 minutes. Happy Breakfast!
I’ll be linking up to Works for Me Wednesday, Penny Pinching Party, Creative Share Blog Hop, Whatever Goes Wednesday.