If your husband is anything like mine, he can go through jeans pretty quickly…basically, I have a lot of extra denim sitting around :). I’m saving most of the denim for another project but I’ve been stock piling his back pockets for quite a while now. When a friend gave me some of her old jeans, I had the perfect amount to make a back pocket organizer.
To make your own back pocket organizer, you’ll need:
- Back pockets…as many or as few as you want your organizer to have.
- Fabric for the back of the organizer
- Bias tape
- A way to hang your organizer (I just used a dowel I had on hand and some braided yarn to hang mine)
- Sewing machine
- Buttons or yarn to tie your organizer like a quilt
- Cut the back pockets from the jeans. Make sure you cut as far away from the pocket as the seams allow (which in some instances is not very far). If the pockets are wearing out at the top corners (like my hubby is prone to do on his) use some Wonder Under and apply patches to give them additional strength-see all the patches below?
- Figure out which pockets you want in which row and cut all of the pockets in each row to the same height. Sew them together on the sides.
- Check to see if each of your rows are the same width. If some are shorter than others, add a strip of denim on the ends. This is a perfect use for kids jeans that are too small for anything else!
- Sew all of your rows together and press the seams open so the organizer will lay more flat.
- Cut a piece of fabric to the same size as your organizer. This will be the back. Use safety pins to pin your front and back together with wrong sides facing each other.
- Sew buttons or tie yarn to the organizer like you would tie a quilt.
- Pin bias tape all the way around your organizer and sew it on.
- For hanging it up, I’m sure there are a million different ways to do it, but I made loops 1 1/2 inches wide and sewed them onto the organizer, sewing over the bias tape stitching and put a dowel through them. I then braided a bunch of yarn together and tied that on.
- Hang your organizer up and fill it with whatever your heart desires…mine was originally intended for my boys room but I love it so much it got put in my craft room and it’s perfect for all of my random craft stuff!
I’ll be linking up to Recreate Into Something New, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Penny Pinching Party, Sugar & Spice and Everything Nice, Hoo’s Got Talent, We Did It Wednesday, Milk and Cuddles, and Creative Share Blog Hop.