I am personally a barefoot person…if at all possible, I am barefoot. This winter, however, has left me with cold feet far too many times and I have actually been wearing my slippers a lot. Since K didn’t have any slippers, I thought I would make him some, and of course they had to be fun, so I ended up with monster slippers…or dinosaur slippers (take your pick).
I thought they turned out really cute…my husband slapped his forehead with his hand when I showed him what I had been doing all morning. K laughed hysterically as he ran around poking my legs with his monster toes :).
To make slippers for your own little monster (said with utmost fondness in my voice…), you will need fleece, a sewing machine, and narrow elastic if desired.
- Trace your child’s foot on paper. Cut out the pattern with however much seam allowance you prefer around the tracing.
- Cut out two fabric feet (with the seam allowance) from fleece.
- Measure how far it is from the tip of your child’s toes to where their foot meets their ankle. For K, it was 5 1/2 inches.
- Make a pattern for the top of the slipper being slightly longer than your child’s foot, and shaped kind of like a horse-shoe with the tip of the horseshoe being the measurement your found in number 3. See the picture below if that was confusing.
- Sew the ends of your top piece together.
- Cut out 12 triangles measuring 1 1/2 inches at the base, and 1 3/4 inches long.
- Pair up all of the triangles and sew them together except on the base.
- Turn all of them right side out and you have your monster toes (3 per foot).
- Sandwich the toes between the top and bottom of each slipper, with the base of the toes lined up with the outside of the slipper as shown below.
- Sew the top of the slipper to the bottom of the slipper, making sure to catch al of the toes. Trim all of the excess fabric.
- Turn right side out and make sure you did catch everything and it lays right. If desired, sew elastic into the back of the slipper so it stays on better.
- Slip them onto your monster’s feet and let them loose :)
Thank you Creative Maven for the inspiration!
I’m linking up to Crazy Cute LInk Party @ Between U & Me, Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple, What Are Little Boys Made of @ Seven Thirty Three, Crafty Soiree @ Yesterday on Tuesday, Making it with Allie @ What Allie’s Making, Get Your Brag On @ Gluesticks, and Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions.