Since K devours strawberries like crazy, I figured that would be a good place to start. The wonderful thing about felt food, and especially strawberries because they aren’t very big is that they can be sewn by hand!
All you need is:
- Red felt
- Green felt
- A needle
- Cut a circle measuring between 3-4 inches wide out of the red felt.
- Cut the circle in half…this will make two strawberries.
- Fold the half circle in half
- and sew along the edge (either by hand or machine), forming a cone.
- Turn your cone inside out to hide the seam.
- Along the mouth of the cone, sew a gathering stitch by hand with a good length of thread.
- Stuff some poly-fil or other stitching inside and pull the gathering threads tight. Tie the threads off but do not cut them.
- Take the needle across the opening from where it was tied off and pull it tight.
- Continue sewing the opening together by making a spider-web type stitch and pulling it tight. Tie the thread off but do not cut it if possible.
- Cut out leaves from the green felt.
- Sew the leaves to the top of the strawberries.
- Tack each of the inside corners of the leaves to the strawberry.
- Using two strands of embroidery thread, Sew small stitches randomly across the strawberry to make the seeds. Add as many or as few as you desire.
I’m linking up to What are Little Boys Made of? @ Seven Thirty Three, Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions, Crazy Cute Link Party @ Between U & Me, and Theme Party Thursday @ Ain’t She Crazy!