I had thought he just wasn’t a crayon kid…I never was. But, he colored, and actually gave different aspects of the picture different colors instead of one or two scribbles which was all he had done in the past. After taking crayons to church in a plastic baggie for a few weeks and having him show interest there as well, I decided to hunt my reader for the crayon roll Skip to My Lou had published.
Please do click over to see her fabulous tutorial, but since I did a few things differently, I will post my own tutorial here.
All you need is:
- 3 pieces of felt with the following measurements: 5” x 8 1/2”, 5” x 8 1/2” and 6” x 8 1/2”.
- A piece of skinny elastic measuring 7 1/2”-8” inches long (or you can use ribbon like Skip to My Lou).
- A sewing machine (though if you’re patient enough you could sew this by hand).
- Pinking shears if desired.
- Cut your three pieces of felt in any desired color combination.
- Fold your 6” x 8 1/2” piece of felt in half length-wise and lay the raw edge along the raw edge of one of your 5” x 8 1/2” pieces of felt. This will be the inside of your crayon roll with the pockets for your crayons.
- Starting 1 1/4 inches in from the side, mark a straight line. Mark 6 more lines one inch apart. This is going to be the pocket(s) for your crayons (sorry my lines turned out so faint).
- Fold your elastic in half and tie of the end if it is really thin like mine. Pin it into place in the middle of one of the ends of your crayon roll.
- Sew a straight stitch around your entire crayon roll, making sure the knot of your elastic is inside the stitch and securely in place.
- Trim all threads and if desired, use pinking shears around the edges making sure not to cut your elastic.
- Roll up and hand over to a little one that you love. K will not let go of his thus far and has already demanded that C needs his own crayon roll. I was so pleased to see that he can roll up the crayon roll and secure it with the elastic without any help from me and can’t wait to see him in action at church :).
I’m linking up to Amaze Me August @ Bella Before and After, Homemaker Mondays @ 11th Heaven’s Homemaking Haven, Tot Tuesdays @ Delicious Ambiguity, Get Your Craft On @ Today’s Creative Blog, Sew Cute Tuesday @ Creative Itch, Tip Me Tuesday @ Tip Junkie’s, Handmade Tuesday @ Ladybug Blessings,and Take-a-Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee.