All you need is:
- 2 1/4 C all purpose or 2 1/2 C cake flour
- 1 2/3 C sugar
- 2/3 C shortening
- 1 1/4 C milk
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- Frosting if desired
2. Beat all ingredients except egg whites and frosting in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl and beat on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
3. Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s) or liners.
4. Bake rectangle 40-45 minutes, 9 inch rounds 30-35 minutes, 8 inch rounds 23-28 minutes, and cupcakes 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes and remove from pan to cool completely, about 1 hour.
6. Frost if desired.
This recipe is from the Big Red Betty Crocker's Cookbook, ISBN 0-7645-6079-4.