One of the best ways to do so is to line dry your clothes. Even in an apartment, it is possible to line dry clothes. We have two drying racks that fold up compactly when not in use and are big enough for almost 2 loads of laundry. My husband said in all fairness I should admit they are constantly being used, hence rarely folded up compactly :).
Occasionally, when hanging up all the clothes is taking a long time, I ask myself why on earth I’m doing this? Is it really making that much of a difference?
Then I remember, and go through my own list of why I take the time to line dry my clothes:
- It saves electricity, saving the environment
- It saves money by not using electricity. Yes it’s not much, but it adds up over time.
- It saves money by not using the dryer, which would then require more air conditioning during summer months.
- Line drying also requires no dryer sheets…less money spent! Plus less chemicals in your clothes. Dryer sheets actually cause build up which reduces absorbency in diapers or towels.
- Line drying helps clothes last longer. All the lint in the lint trap is fibers being pulled off your clothes while they dry
- The sun is a natural stain remover, and will make whites look extra white!
As my husband explained to me, the washer spins clothes out fast enough that they are all compact when you pull them out. The dryer helps the fibers spread out, and the clothes expand, so they're less stiff.
For another great post on line drying, head over to Simple Mom.
I'm linking up to Works For Me Wednesday over at We Are That Family.