If you plan on making these, know that it is quite time consuming, but these turned out amazing.
I think my favorite part of making these was learning how it's done; how Snickers are made. I had no idea that egg whites are in Snickers bars, or even that the peanuts were in the caramel layer.
Our personal notes from this experience are:
- Use a larger pan than 9x13...maybe 11x15. The Snickers were a little thick. You would have to add more chocolate though.
- It says that dipping the sides are optional and if you don't it won't affect the taste. I couldn't tell much of a difference, but my husband preferred the dipped Snickers over the ones we didn't dip.
- Make sure that if you do dip the Snickers that they have plenty of time to chill before...I though we had waited long enough, but they melted too quickly for me to effectively dip them.
- The nougat layer never gets as firm as a store bought Snickers bar and melts on contact.
- A double boiler is ideal for most steps, but if you don't have one, you can make one similar to this (the larger pot has enough water to cover the sides of the smaller pot which sits inside):