Have you ever had your identity stolen? I know all the time my friends and family have to get on Facebook or send out an e-mail apologizing for random messages sent because their accounts were hacked. How easy do you tink it would be for someone to steal your identity?
Here's some eye-opening statistics for you:
- The average cost per person of having identities stolen is $1,513
- 11.6 million adults were victims of identity fraud in 2011 and lost a total of $18 billion!
- Households earning $100k+ annually have the highest risk of identity fraud with a rate of 7.4%
- 6.6% of victims are smartphone owners
- 6.8% of victims are social media users who click on applications
- 8.2% of victims are social media users who have "checked in" using their smartphone GPS
- 10.1% of victims are LinkedIn users
LifeLock is a website that will protect you against identity theft with rates as low as $10/month for their basic service. From internet monitoring to credit alerts to lost wallet protection, LifeLock sounds comforting and like a great solution for those who are concerned about having their identity stolen.
Have you had any experiences with identity theft? How detrimental was it? How do you think LifeLock could help?